One of the simplest ways hackers use to gain access to your information is through the use of a specially written piece of software to attempt to log into a site using your credentials. Below are some password tips to help you keep your information safe:
- Length is key; the longer the password combinations, the longer it takes for a hacker to discover your password
- Substitute numbers for letters that look similar. The letter o becomes the number 0, or even better an ‘@’ or ‘*’. (example: In7t3rN3t instead of internet or @nL1N3 instead of online)
- Randomly throw in capital letters
- Avoid using names and words in the dictionary
- Have different username / password combinations for everything. Remember, the hacker’s technique is to break into one thing you access and figure out your standard password, then compromise everything else you access.